- Suspicious Circumstances. Church Street. Two males seen going door to door trying to sell items from holdalls. Both males checked by police patrol and details taken. 1.35pm Tuesday 9th January. 0177 09/01/2018
- Suspicious Circumstances. Orchard Close. Two men from a white van with ladders on the roof went to a house and said that they were there to do some plumbing work. No work was needed at the house and no one had been called so they were asked to leave. The males left in the van. Shortly afterwards another male visited the house but was also turned away. All the males are described as white and of slim build. Two of them were wearing blue tracksuits. 9.45am and 10.15am Tuesday 9th January. 0111 09/01/2018
From the Warwickshire Trading Standards website – https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/scams – Rogue Traders can include:
- doorstep sellers
- sellers of counterfeit items like clothing, perfumes, tobacco and DVD’s
- sellers of unsafe electrical items
- sellers of un-roadworthy or clocked cars
Doorstep rogue traders will often call unexpectedly, offering services or goods that you hadn’t asked for. They will offer to carry out work on your property, or sell you a product, at what seems like a reasonable price. In reality they are looking to trick you out of your money.
You shouldn’t feel pressured to accept any work or service you don’t want. It’s your home and your right to say ‘No’. To report a rogue trader contact the Citizens Advice consumer service . Guidance from Citizens Advice on how to spot a scam.