In 1643 John Cooper left £300 for the establishment and maintenance of a free school for boys from Long Marston, Pebworth, Dorsington, Welford-on-Avon and Quinton. This funded the Grammar School at Long Marston until its closure in 1910.
Today the fund is administered by a board of governors from the five parishes covered by the Foundation. The Interest earned on the money invested enables grants to be awarded to eligible applicants who are over 18 and in full time education studying for a first degree at university (or its equivalent at the governors’ discretion) to help with the cost of books and other course expenses.
Students resident in Welford-on-Avon Parish wishing to apply for a grant from the Foundation should contact either Tudor Griffiths (Tel: 750876) or Malcolm Crump (Tel: 751473) for further information.